At the end of the week, I always end up making veggie patties with whatever legume we have in the pantry and whatever veggies we didn’t get around to eating during the week. The recipe is for Asian style lentil, sweet potato, cauliflower and broccoli patties but you can really mix and match this recipe. Just keep sweet potatoes as your base for sticking it all together. Besides that, you can use chopped up kale or grated carrot and zucchini or anything really.
Vegan lentil, sweet potato,cauliflower and broccoli patties
(Makes 9 massive patties)
- 2 Cups sprouted lentils (or 1 cup dried lentils)
- 2 Cups sweet potato cut into small chunks
- 2 Cups cauliflower cut into small chunks
- 3 Cups raw broccoli cut into small chunks
- 2 Spring onions sliced into thin rings
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce/tamari sauce
- 2 Tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger (or powder)
- 1 tsp grated turmeric (or powder)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Approx. 1 Cup polenta to coat
- Approx. 6 Tbsp coconut oil to cook in
1. Cook the lentils (if they’re sprouted, you only need to bring to the boil then simmer them for about 15 minutes. If you’re using dried lentils, bring to the boil then simmer for about 35 minutes).
2. Steam or boil the sweet potatoes and cauliflower until soft (10-15 minutes).
3. Drain the sweet potatoes and cauliflower and mash it.
4. Add lentils and the rest of the ingredients to the mash.
5. Form into patty shapes and coat each one in polenta.
6. Heat 6 tablespoons of coconut oil on medium heat. Once hot, add in patties. Turn after about 8 minutes. Make sure you really get your spatula in under them so you don’t lose the polenta crust. Take off heat once both sides are golden.
7. Place onto a tea towel or reusable “paper” towel to let coconut oil soak off the patties.
Best served warm with sweet chilli sauce. I’ll be uploading my 5 minute super easy, sweet chilli sauce recipe soon.
If you want to make them into mushroom or eggplant burgers…
(Makes 1 burger)
- 2 large mushrooms or 2 large slices of eggplant
- 1.5 Tbsp sauerkraut
- 1 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1. Put the mushrooms/eggplant slices into the pan you cooked the patties in and cook each side for about 4 minutes.
2. Place one slice of eggplant or one mushroom upside down on a plate, put patty on top, then the sauerkraut and the sweet chilli sauce. Top with another mushroom or slice of eggplant and serve.