Sushi is always a hit at our place, especially with the kids. They go wild for it! If we ever have a curry or anything with rice, I make a super big batch of rice so I can turn it into sushi the next day. It always end up being a mix and match of things but the two main things that I keep the same are the coloured rice and some form of protein. It really is just so simple and versatile though.
(Makes 3 thick rolls of sushi)
- 1 Cup Brown rice
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder or grated turmeric
- 1/3 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp sushi rice vinegar
- 200g Tempeh cut into strips about 1cm thick
- One big handful green beans
- 1 Spring onion sliced length ways to suit sushi roll length
- 2 Tbsp black sesame seeds
Sweet & spicy soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Rice malt syrup
- 1 Tbsp Fresh chilli, chopped fine
- Put rice in a pot with 2 cups water, the turmeric and black pepper. Cover and bring to the boil then turn down to lowest setting until cooked (10-15 minutes).
- While your rice is cooking, cook your tempeh and beans.
- Put a pan on medium heat with a spoonful of coconut oil. Add tempeh and drizzle a bit of sesame oil over it. Turn once browned. Take tempeh off once all sides are browned (about 2 minutes on each side).
- Turn the heat up under the pan you just used and add the beans. After about 2 minutes add the sesame seeds and cook for another minute or two, stirring the beans around and take off heat.
- Stir sushi vinegar into the rice.
- Lay sushi paper on rolling mat, spread 1/3rd of the rice out on it and place 1/3rd of the tempeh, beans and spring onion across the rice.
- Roll sushi up until there’s about 1cm left at the edge of the sushi paper. Wet your finger and drag it along the edge. Finish rolling and put aside.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 for other 2 sushi rolls.
- If they’re still warm, place the sushi rolls in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Take the sushi out of the fridge once cold. Wet a large knife and slice the rolls into pieces about 1cm thick, re-wetting the knife after every few slices.
- To make the sauce, just combine all sauce ingredients and give it a stir.