So the other day I left home without nappy cream in the baby bag. Of course that was the one day my daughter got wild nappy rash. Rookie! She hadn’t had nappy rash for months…
Anyway, we ended up going to about 7 shops, trying to hunt down something that doesn’t contain toxic chemicals. It was a lot more challenging than I had hoped. In the end, we managed to get a small jar of bum balm at the health food shop for $19.95. I think my sunnies cost less.
When we got home that day, I decided that it was time to make my own nappy rash cream. And that I won’t be leaving home without it again.
So here’s the recipe. Yep, it’s made with breastmilk! That’s why it’s so amazing.
- 40mls Breastmilk
- 40mls Grapeseed or olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Beeswax (grated)
- 6-8 Drops lavender essential oil
- Combine beeswax and grapeseed/olive oil and heat in microwave or small pot until beeswax is melted.
- Stir in breastmilk and essential oil.
- If you want a lotion style cream, whisk or blend the mixture with an immersion blender, on high, for about 4 minutes. If you want a balm style cream, pour straight into small jar.
- Place in fridge for about two hours, to allow to set before using. Give it a little stir every half an hour or so, so that it doesn’t separate.